Suggestions and Comments

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2010 at 11:41 PM

Welcome to Informant. I hope the application is meeting your needs. Informant is still very young so any and all feedback is welcome. Please let me know what you think would make it a better product!

Jun 1, 2010 at 11:09 PM

I was really happy to find Informant, especially now that ContacTexter is no longer. But I tried to install Informant, and the program froze on login. Am I doing something wrong? Please let me know because Informant sounds perfect for me. Thank you!

Jun 2, 2010 at 3:21 AM

Here is the error message I'm getting:

EventType : clr20r3     P1 : informant.ui.wpf.exe     P2 : 0.1.0.0     
P3 : 4ba5eabb     P4 : mscorlib     P5 : 2.0.0.0     P6 : 4a7cd8f7     P7 : e48
P8 : 17     P9 : n3ctrye2kn3c34sgl4zqyrbfte4m13nb

Now that ContacTexter is no longer being supported, I am interested in Informant. Thank you!

Coordinator
Jun 6, 2010 at 4:10 AM

That's an interesting error. Since I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem I'm not sure how to help you. However, if you can wait another few days I'll have a new version of Informant released. Things have been crazy at work for me leaving me with little time to code for fun. Also out of curiosity can you send me your specs such as OS, .Net version installed, etc.?

Thanks!

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Thanks for all your help. I'm running XP, .NET 3.5 SP1. I'm looking forward to the new version. Thank you again.

Coordinator
Aug 27, 2010 at 12:09 AM

Not sure if you're still around. There was a major change in the architecture of the application. I haven't had a chance to test on a machine running XP, but please try the latest version of the application and let me know if it works for you.

Cheers

-Danny

Sep 11, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Hi there! I just tried to install Informant and got:

Error 1001. An exception occurred in the OnAfterInstall event handler of Informant hosts. Windows. Project Installer. Time out has expired and the operation has not been completed.

Also: Error 1001. Could not find C:\ProgramFiles\Informant\Informant(Desktop)

(I'm running XP and hoping that it'll work! Thanks!)

Coordinator
Feb 23, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Informant will not run on the Windows XP Operating System. It will only run on Windows Vista and Win7 Operating Systems. The limitation is the core framework requires Vista or Win7. I apologize if this is an inconvenience to you or anyone else.

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:39 AM

Hi there! I just tried to install Informant on Windows 7 and got:

Error 1001. An Exception occurred in the OnAfterinstall event handler of informant Services. Windows ProjectInstaller. ---> Cannot start service informant Winservice on computer!! ---> The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate .

Thanks for your response

Coordinator
Nov 18, 2011 at 4:53 PM

rolandjr - I'm sorry you're having problems. When you ran the installer did you run it as Administrator? Also, do you have Microsoft .NET 4.0 installed? Let me know if this helps or not.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Yes, I did run it as administrator and I also have Microsoft .NET 4.0 installed. It's still giving me the error message. I also tried it on my laptop, same error message.

Coordinator
Nov 21, 2011 at 5:07 PM
Edited Nov 21, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I'm going to run more tests on my end. The application requires some permissions in order to run the service under a user account and it may be that we'll need to modify your user account permissions. I'm not sure how much time I'll have today or tomorrow, but if we haven't solved the issue by Wednesday I'll have half a day to look into it.

Also, if you are familiar with EventViewer please look at the logs deposited there and let me know what they say.

Regards,

Danny

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:06 AM

Ok Thank you. I'm not familiar with Event Viewer. Where can I look for it.

Happy Thanksgiving

Roland

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2011 at 5:24 PM
Edited Nov 23, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Here is a link on how to open event viewer: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-Event-Viewer

Once it's launched you'll see folders on the left. Open Windows Logs/Application. Then on the right under Actions select Clear Log. Do the same thing for Windows Logs/Setup. After that leave Event Viewer running and try running the install again. After it fails and is closed return to Event Viewer and click Refresh under Actions for both Application and Setup logs. Look at the source column to find Informant or MSI and look for Red Error icons in the Level column. Select the error logs and copy the text under the General Tab below the logs and post that.

Also, please validate that the installed version of .NET Framework 4 is the Extended profile not the client profile.

I'll be looking into this today and hopefully will find a solution for you.

-Danny

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2011 at 10:40 PM

RolandJr,

Before going into Event Viewer please try installing Informant via the new release v0.1.6.0. Let me know if this solves your problem.

-Danny

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Finally it worked. The first time I tried to install V0.1.6.0. it gave me the same error. I had to go to Event Viewer and followed the steps to clear log under Windows Logs/Application & Windows Logs/Setup,and then went back and tried to reinstall it; that is when everything went well. I already open the software but have not using it yet . It accessed my gmail account with no problem.

Thanks again Danny

Roland